The Great Wall of China was started in 500 B.C. to fend off foreign invaders.
It took 6 dynasties over 1800 years to complete. It is the world’s longest wall, visited by over 10,000,000 tourists a year. It winds through a stunning array of scenery from the beaches of Qinhuangdao, to rugged mountains around Beijing, to a desert corridor between tall mountain ranges.
Ch’in Shih-huang was the first emperor of China. He united seven separate kingdoms into a single nation. He built the Great Wall and was buried with the terracotta soldiers. [see our Chinese Emperor’s Terracotta Warrior card!]
- Happy birthday! you’re old as dirt!
- May all your wishes come true.
- Get it done.
- Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. ~Maya Angelou
- We build too many walls and not enough bridges. ~Isaac Newton
- What do you hang on the walls of your mind? ~Eve Arnold
- Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in another time. ~Chinese proverb
- To talk much and arrive nowhere is the same as climbing a tree to catch a fish. ~Chinese proverb
- You can’t stop demographics. And show me a fence that ever worked. It didn’t work at Hadrian’s Wall. The Great Wall of China didn’t work, neither did the Berlin Wall. ~James Turrel
This is a card for a Chinese friend, for a friend interested in Asia, in China, in ancient history, for a traveler, for someone facing a challenge, a philosopher, for boundaries, for an architect, an engineer, warrior, politician or professor. Makes a stunning birthday card, friendship card, or gift for a Chinese holiday. Give it to your project manager, architect, builder, event planner, fund raiser or a real estate agent.