New York City quotes:
- New York, New York, it’s a helluva town. ~Betty Comden and Adolph Green
- The sky’s the limit.
- The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding. ~John Updike
- Everybody ought to have a Lower East Side in their life. ~Irving Berlin
- London is satisfied, Paris is resigned, but New York is always hopeful. Always it believes that something good is about to come off, and it must hurry to meet it. ~ Dorothy Parker
- Don’t tell me the sky’s the limit when there are footprints on the moon.~ Paul Brandt
- Once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough. ~John Steinbeck
The New York City skyline
With its cloud-piercing skyscrapers and array of architectural styles, the skyline takes your breath away.
New York City has over 6,400 high-rise buildings. The silhouette created by Manhattan’s buildings is instantly recognizable and utterly mesmerizing. When you gaze across New York Harbor, the Manhattan skyline is striking. Hundreds of songs and movies pay homage to this iconic image of New York City.
New York City comprises 5 boroughs sitting where the Hudson River meets the Atlantic Ocean. At its core is Manhattan, a densely populated borough that’s among the world’s major commercial, financial and cultural centers. Its iconic sites include skyscrapers such as the Empire State Building and sprawling Central Park. Broadway theater is staged in neon-lit Times Square.
A high-rise building boom, mostly of luxury condos, has transformed the New York City skyline in recent years — and there’s more to come.
Stronger concrete, faster, more efficient elevators and sophisticated computer modeling have allowed developers to build taller and skinnier on sites that used to require much wider bases. A better understanding of aerodynamics has produced skinny towers that can sway from four to six feet in any direction at the top.
Where’s it growing?
Construction along the Far West Side has redrawn the western view of Manhattan, with major developments at Hudson Yards, in the 30s; many new towers in the Times Square area; and a profusion of activity at Billionaires’ Row, in the 50s.
Compare to our Beijing Opera popup card.
This is a card for a birthday or trip to Manhattan, for a native New Yorker, for memories, for travel, for architects, entertainers, and Big Apple fans.