Tower Bridge Message:
- Love is the bridge.
- The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross and which to burn.
- Mistakes are the usual bridge between inexperience and wisdom.
- Build a bridge and get over it.
- It takes two sides to build a bridge.
- Up and Down like Tower Bridge.
- Oh, I love London society! It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what society should be. ~Oscar Wilde, 1895
- I’ve been walking about London for the last thirty years, and I find something fresh in it every day. ~Walter Besant, on his deathbed, 1901
- I don’t know what London’s coming to — the higher the buildings the lower the morals. ~Noel Coward, 1931
- London is a splendid place to live in for those who can get out of it. ~Lord Balfour of Burleigh, 1944
- In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea. ~John Osbourne
- When it’s three o’clock in New York, it’s still 1938 in London. ~Bette Midler
- TWENTY bridges from Tower to Kew wanted to know what the River knew, Twenty Bridges or twenty-two, For they were young, and the Thames was old And this is the tale that River told. ~Rudyard Kipling
- A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it. ~Oscar Levant
- We build too many walls and not enough bridges. ~Isaac Newton
Modern history of Tower Bridge:
In 1977 the formerly brown Bridge was painted red, white and blue to celebrate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee. Our pop-up card has the Silver Jubilee colors. In 2012 the Bridge was hung with Olympic Rings to celebrate the 2012 London Olympics.
Today London Tower Bridge is crossed by over 40,000 people (motorists, cyclists and pedestrians) every day from one side of the River Thames to the other. Today the top deck is used for sightseeing and a museum exhibition.
The City of London Corporation is required to raise the Bridge for registered vessels with a mast or superstructure of 30 feet or more. The service is provided free of charge subject to 24 hours notice and is available any time, day or night, 365 days per year. The Bridge is raised several times a day.
The drawbridges, called bascules, are raised just enough for the ship to safely pass under the bridge, except in the case of a ship with the Monarch on board, in which case the bridges are raised fully no matter the size of the vessel.
The bridge appears in blockbuster films such as Mission Impossible, James Bond Thunderball, and in computer games Assassin’s Creed and Horizon Zero Dawn. The bridge has been a constant magnet for all kinds of reckless, cheeky and occasionally downright criminal behavior.
Give the Tower Bridge of London card to any homesick Londoner, or to a traveler, an engineer, a Royal, especially a Queen. This is a card for any occasion, including birthdays, graduation, honeymoon, going away party, or silver anniversary. A fine gift for a fan of action films and computer games.
See also Great Wall of China pop up card and Empire State pop up card.