At Coney Island, boardwalks, amusement parks, carnivals, county fairs and festivals around the globe, thrilling Ferris wheels whirl through the sky. This is an award winning pop up card design.
- Happy Birthday. Another trip around the sun!
- Big Wheel keeps on turnin’.
- Enjoy life’s up and downs.
- Enjoy the view from the top.
- Do more of what makes you happy.
- Love your life.
- Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels!
- Fasten your seat belt, we’re going on a ride!
- And so the adventure begins.
- My soul is in the sky. ~William Shakespeare
- Don’t worry, be happy. ~Bobby McFerrin
- Round and Round and Round we go,
where the fun stops nobody knows!
The Ferris wheel was America’s answer to the Eiffel Tower.
In 1890 George Washington Gale Ferris Jr., a 33-year-old bridge builder and engineer from Pittsburgh whose company was inspecting the steel used by the Chicago World’s Fair, had a brainstorm for an amusement ride that could carry almost 1500 people at a time. He quickly sketched a huge revolving steel bicycle wheel. He spent $25,000 of his own money on safety studies, hired more engineers, and recruited investors.
More than 100,000 parts went into Ferris’ wheel, notably an 89,320-pound axle that had to be hoisted onto two towers 140 feet in the air. Launched on June 21, 1893, it was a glorious success. Over the next 19 weeks, more than 1.4 million people paid 50 cents for a 20-minute ride and access to an aerial panorama few had ever beheld. “It is an indescribable sensation,” wrote a reporter named Robert Graves, “that of revolving through such a vast orbit in a bird cage.”
Who is it for?
Give this card to a friend, family, a historian or engineer, to celebrate a relationship, the start of a new adventure, marriage, new job, new home, travel, for a birthday, a second marriage, a divorce, a new business, a fresh start, a revolution.
See also: Fairground Ferris Wheel.