Horse Racing news: Rich Strike pulls off incredible upset in first leg of Triple Crown 2022
It was the 148th Kentucky Derby from Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.
Rich Strike galloped to one of the biggest upsets in Kentucky Derby history on Saturday when he zoomed past Epicenter on the last stretch of the race to win the first leg of the Triple Crown.
Sonny Leon, in his first Derby, rode Rich Strike to the winner’s circle. The horse, which hadn’t won a race since last September, pulled together in the final few yards to get the first win.
Triple Crown Horse Racing Messages you could write:
- I’m betting on you.
- You’re a winner.
- Odds for a great birthday!
- And they’re off!
- Win, place or show, I’m yours.
- Jockey for position.
- You’re a stud.
- Jump for joy.
- Have a champion day.
- Horse racing is animated roulette.
- Work is for people who can’t pick a winner.
- May the horse be with you.
- Man o’ War, the mostest hoss there ever was.
- Secretariat: the horse God built.
- What happens at the track stays at the track.
Horse Racing quotes:
- The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip. ~Henny Youngman
- A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries. ~Will Rogers
- “The horse is too small, the jockey too big, the trainer too old, and I’m too dumb to know the difference.” ~Charles Howard talking about Seabiscuit.
- Any horse can win on any given day. ~Angel Cordero, Jr.
- Horse racing is animated roulette. ~Roger Kahn
- Horse sense is what keeps a horse from betting on people. ~Will Rogers
George Woolf: You know, if you did more riding and less talking you might start winning some races.
Red Pollard: I got two bucks says I beat you in this one.
George Woolf: I’m not sure you do but I got five bucks says that you don’t.
Triple Crown horse racing facts:
Secretariat holds the stakes record for each of the Triple Crown races, the Kentucky Derby, (1:59 2/5), the Preakness Stakes (1:53), and the Belmont Stakes (2:24).
At 18, Steve Cauthen became the youngest jockey to win the Triple Crown, riding Affirmed in 1978. At 52, Mike Smith became the oldest jockey to win the Triple Crown, riding Justify in 2018.
Do horses like horse racing?
Yes, horses enjoy racing and are well-looked after animals. Running and jumping comes naturally to horses in the wild. Even when a horse unseats its jockey during a race, it will continue to run and jump with the other racehorses.